Installation using the Software AG Installer
The Software AG Installer is a generic tool for installing Software AG products.
Universal Messaging is typically licensed as part of a product bundle, so when you run the Software AG Installer, a dialog allows you to select the appropriate bundle. A subsequent dialog shows the individual products that you can install from the bundle, including Universal Messaging.
Overview of the Documentation for using the Software AG Installer
For the installation using the Software AG Installer, refer to the following documents:
Using the Software AG Installer
This document describes how to use the Software AG Installer tool. The usage of the Software AG Installer is the same for all products, so the documentation of the Software AG Installer does not refer explicitly to Universal Messaging.
To access the document Using the Software AG Installer, do the following:
Log in to the Software AG documentation web site at http://documentation.softwareag.com/
, using the Empower login ID and password that you have received by email when you licensed the product.
2. Select the link for the Software AG Installer.
3. The selected page lists several versions of the installer documentation, each shown with a release date. Select the version of the installer documentation that corresponds to the release date of the Software AG Installer you are using. The release date of the Software AG Installer is generally included in the file name of the downloaded executable file. You can also find the release date of the Software AG Installer by clicking the "About" link when you run the Software AG Installer.
Installing Software AG Products
This document contains specific installation information about many Software AG products, including Universal Messaging.
The most recent version of the document Installing Software AG Products is available in the documentation web site using the following URL:
Upgrading Software AG Products
If you are upgrading from a previous product version, refer also to this document. This document contains information about how to upgrade an existing Software AG product version to a new version.
The most recent version of the document Upgrading Software AG Products is available in the documentation web site using the following URL:
If you need to access versions of the documents Installing Software AG Products and Upgrading Software AG Products for previous product releases, proceed as follows:
2. Navigate to the webMethods Product Suite, then select the Suite version number that matches the Universal Messaging version number.
3. Select the link that deals with installation topics.
Specifying a different JDK/JRE Location
The installation of Universal Messaging, when performed using the Software AG Installer, includes the installation of a version of the JDK.
If you already have a JDK installed, you can change the Universal Messaging configuration to use your own installed JDK. Since Universal Messaging only requires the JRE component of the JDK, you can instead configure Universal Messaging to use your own installed JRE.
The JDK/JRE used by Universal Messaging is configured in the following configuration files. If you change the setup for the JDK/JRE in any of these files, you must make the same change in the other files also.
where <Software_AG_directory> is the default location for the installation of products using the Software AG Installer, and <instanceName> is the name of your Universal Messaging server. During the installation, a default server called "umserver" is created, so configuration files exist for this server.
In all cases, the setting to be updated is "wrapper.java.command=". To make the change, proceed as follows:
1. Open the configuration file in a text editor.
2. Locate the line that begins with "wrapper.java.command=". This line points to the current location of the JDK/JRE, for example:
3. Change the location to the location of your own installed JDK/JRE, for example:
4. Save and close the file.
5. Make the same change in the other configuration files.
6. Stop and restart Universal Messaging.
You can use the Instance Manager to create a new instance of the Universal Messaging server. Each time you create a new instance, the following templates are used to create configuration files for the new instance. Therefore, if you wish to use your own installed JDK/JRE for all future instances of the server, you should modify the setting of wrapper.java.command in these templates:
Even if you use your own JDK/JRE, you should NOT remove the JDK that is installed with Universal Messaging; this JDK is required to run the Software AG Uninstaller, regardless of any other JDK/JRE you use.